I have wanted to try the Ndebele (herringbone) stitch for a long time, but I couldn't find a tutorial that explained what happens after the first four rows. Then I found a tutorial that was a lot less tightly woven but easy to understand. I thought I would give it a try with some cheap beads that I had bought at Michaels, and after a dozen or so rows, understood what I was missing in the other tutorials. I worked it tighter and tighter as I went, and finally brought it around to see if I could invisibly join the ends. The pattern doesn't naturally twist, I just thought I would throw that in with the rest of the experimentation.
I want to figure all all the complexities of this stitch before I break into the new stash of crystals I bought yesterday at the bead expo. I will also say that this stitch eats your thread like crazy.
I also saw two other patterns at the expo that I want to try - tubular netting with inset pearls, and the Russian spiral. I also picked up some fun lampwork beads, and a packet of tila beads (thanks, Jeannie!).
Yes, going to the bead expo does mean that I will be doing a bit more jewelry before I make more cards.