Paper-pieced Snowman

This is a very simple looking card, but I'm kind of proud of it because of a couple of techniques that I used that were new for me.
First off, this is a new sentiment for me.  SweetStamps has tons of vertical sentiments like this, and it is fun having your words go in a different direction for a change.  I felt very tricky getting the color to change in the middle of a word like this.  I embossed the sentiment in white on the blue, tore the white paper and embossed part of the sentiment onto it in denim blue, then lined up the words until the overlapped perfectly.  I used a much larger piece of white than I needed, and just cut off the excess.

The stamp is also new, and I tried coloring it with copics (not my favorite method, but it is okay).  As you can see, I'm not great at coloring.  However, since I was cutting out the snowman, it didn't matter too much that I couldn't stay inside the lines.  Fortunately, I am better with scissors than with markers.

I knew I needed a little something more than just the words and the snowman, so I thought holly would echo the small sprig in his hatband.  I just bought this new holly punch, and was arranging the leaves, when I noticed that the snowman's buttons were actually buttons, and also the right size for the holly!  I was even happier when I found out that the buttons fight perfectly inside a 1/4 inch punch!  So, I stamped the buttons from the snowman onto red and used those for holly berries.  Finally, I used some Diamond Glaze to give all the buttons a little dimension.

Juliet Arrighi

3 comments:

Vicky said...

Adorable card Juliet , love how you did the two tone text :)

Myrna said...

Juliet
Love the up and down sentiment.
You did a great job on this one.
Myrna

Shelly Schmidt said...

Love your paper piecing- the sentiment you stamped is brilliant! Love the way you did the snow too.