Dodecahedron ornament from flower punch + freebie!

I like dodecahedrons, and I've struggled for years with making them, mostly because I'm too lazy to cut all the pieces out by hand neatly (neatly being the important part). However, it just occurred to me recently that I could make one out of a five-petalled flower from a punch, and it might even make a nice ornament.



I included the punch with this picture, and the blue one next to the punch is my prototype (not so great, eh?). After I made it, I found it it was a lot easier to decorate before assembling the bits. I thought it would be hard to stamp something consistently amazing 12 times, so I decided the best way to go would be to make digital punchable images, and assemble the dodecahedron from there.



This is my finished product, for the Spotlight challenge, and the recently discovered (I keep finding new challenge blogs!) Inky Impressions challenge. I just found Inky Impressions today - they sell the kind of stamps I love to buy, deeply etched rubber with EZ Mount. They are looking for members for their design team right now, too! But, I digress...

I have saved the printable file as a .pdf - it has 24 punchables, enough to make two different dodecahedrons (the other one has different vintage image, I will probably post it later after I assemble it). If you have this punch and would like the file, download it here from Google Docs. If you don't have the punch but don't mind sitting and cutting a lot of pieces with scissors, you can use this file too. It could be a fun project to make with the kids if you are bored after dinner next weekend.

You can make this kind of ornament out of any five-petalled flower or even a star. If you try it, and post it somewhere online, leave me a link - I would love to see it!

Remember, my sig tag is a clickable link to my email...

Juliet Arrighi

8 comments:

Shelly Schmidt said...

You are so creative- I love this idea- and the addition of the beads at the top and bottom is really lovely! I really like the image in the centes of your flowers too. Great ornaments!

Darlene said...

Oh My Gosh ... this is awesome! Very creative and unique! Thanks so much for joining us at Saturday Spotlight! What an inspirational work of art! Well done!

Danise said...

Juliet...
For Christmas can I borrow your muse?You have the most wonderful ideas.Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! Now how creative is that!! I just love this and now that I have that punch, I will have to give this a shot!! Such a stunning ornament!! I'm so glad that you could join us with this week at Saturday Spotlight Juliet!! :)

Maria Matter said...

oh, this is amazing Juliet!!!! beautiful!!!
Blessings, Maria

Jessica G. said...

Wow -- impressive 3-D ornament! Thanks for playing along in this week's Spotlight challenge!!

Nicole (Inky's Mama) said...

OH WOW!!! Juliet, This is absolutely beautiful! Love your name too, by the way, it is beautiful also :) You really have some great talent!

Thanks for joining us at Inky Impressions Challenges, we would love to see you back again soon. Your work is very easy on the eyes.

HUGS!

Nicole (Inky's Mama) :)

josie walrath said...

How very clever of you. I don't have this punch but maybe my cricut machine has a 5 petal flower. Thanks for the inspiration your ornament is beautiful.tfs
josie w.